What is the antonym of “discovering”?
The antonyms of discovering are hiding and concealing. The antonyms hiding and concealing convey the opposite meaning of discovering, which is to keep something hidden or secret.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To put or keep something out of sight; to conceal or obscure something from view.
He was hiding behind the curtains when his friends came over.
To prevent something from being known or seen; to hide or cover up something.
She was concealing her true feelings about the situation.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Hiding implies actively keeping something out of sight, while concealing suggests preventing something from being known or seen.
- 2Hiding can be used for physical objects, while concealing is more often used for abstract concepts or information.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Vocabulary: Use these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and express yourself more precisely.
- 2Improve Writing: Incorporate these antonyms in your writing to create contrast and add depth to your descriptions.
- 3Enrich Reading: Look for these antonyms in books and articles to better understand the context and meaning of the text.
The antonyms of discovering are hiding and concealing. While hiding implies actively keeping something out of sight, concealing suggests preventing something from being known or seen. These antonyms can be used to enhance vocabulary, improve writing, and enrich reading.