What is the antonym of “disportive”?
The antonyms of disportive are serious and solemn. The antonyms serious and solemn convey a lack of amusement or lightheartedness. They imply a more formal, grave, or weighty tone.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Having important or dangerous consequences; requiring careful consideration or attention.
The doctor's expression was serious as she delivered the news about his condition.
Formal and dignified; characterized by deep sincerity or gravity.
The funeral was a solemn occasion, with everyone dressed in black and paying their respects.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Serious is a more general term that describes something that requires careful consideration or attention.
- 2Solemn is a more specific term that describes a formal or dignified occasion or mood.
Good things to know
- 1Professional Settings: Use serious and solemn to convey a formal or professional tone in business or academic settings.
- 2Ceremonial Occasions: Use solemn to describe formal or dignified events such as funerals, weddings, or religious ceremonies.
- 3Creative Writing: Use serious and solemn to create a more weighty or grave tone in creative writing such as poetry or fiction.