What is the antonym of “elan”?
The antonyms of elan are apathy and lethargy. The antonyms apathy and lethargy convey a lack of energy, enthusiasm, or interest. They imply a feeling of disinterest, indifference, or sluggishness.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Lack of interest, enthusiasm, or concern.
He showed apathy towards the project and did not contribute much.
A state of tiredness, sluggishness, or lack of energy.
After a long day at work, he felt a sense of lethargy and did not feel like doing anything.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Apathy is a lack of interest or concern, while elan is a feeling of energy and enthusiasm.
- 2Lethargy is a state of tiredness or sluggishness, while elan is a feeling of liveliness and vigor.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use apathy and lethargy to express a lack of interest or energy effectively.
- 2Show Empathy: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to demonstrate understanding.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create contrasting characters and vivid descriptions.