What is the antonym of “fruitful”?
The antonyms of fruitful are unproductive, barren, and sterile. These words describe a lack of productivity, growth, or success.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not producing or achieving much; not yielding results.
The team's efforts were unproductive as they failed to meet their targets.
Unable to produce plants or crops; lacking vegetation or fertility.
The desert is a barren land with little rainfall and scarce resources.
Incapable of reproducing; not able to produce offspring.
The couple was disappointed to learn that they were sterile and could not have children.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Unproductive refers to a lack of productivity or achievement.
- 2Barren describes a lack of vegetation or fertility.
- 3Sterile refers to an inability to reproduce.
Good things to know
- 1Workplace: Use these antonyms to describe the lack of productivity or success in a project or team.
- 2Gardening: Use barren to describe soil or land that is unable to grow plants or crops.
- 3Healthcare: Use sterile to describe medical equipment or environments that are free from germs and bacteria.
The antonyms of fruitful describe a lack of productivity, growth, or success. Use unproductive to describe a lack of productivity, barren to describe a lack of vegetation or fertility, and sterile to describe an inability to reproduce. These words can be used in various contexts such as workplace, gardening, and healthcare.