Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Having an even and regular surface or consistency; free from roughness or irregularities.
The newly paved road was smooth and easy to drive on.
To improve or perfect something by making small changes or removing impurities.
The chef spent hours trying to refine the recipe until it was just right.
To give official permission or approval for something to happen.
The manager had to authorize the purchase before it could be made.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Smooth is a term that describes a surface or consistency that is even and free from roughness or irregularities.
- 2Refine is a term that describes the process of improving or perfecting something by making small changes or removing impurities.
- 3Authorize is a term that describes the act of giving official permission or approval for something to happen.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use smooth, refine, and authorize to express positive or lawful actions effectively.
- 2Show Professionalism: Incorporate antonyms in business settings to demonstrate competence and expertise.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create vivid descriptions and engaging stories.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Smooth conveys evenness and regularity, refine denotes improvement, and authorize refers to official permission. Use these words to enhance communication, show professionalism in business settings, and enrich writing by creating vivid descriptions and engaging stories.