What is the antonym of “harm”?
The antonyms of harm are benefit, advantage, and help. The antonyms benefit, advantage, and help convey a positive or helpful outcome. It implies a positive effect on someone or something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Something that promotes or enhances well-being; an advantage or profit.
The new policy will benefit the employees by providing better health care coverage.
A favorable or beneficial circumstance or position; a superiority or edge over others.
His experience in the field gave him an advantage over other candidates during the job interview.
To give assistance or support to someone or something; to make it easier for them to do something.
Can you help me carry these boxes upstairs?
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Benefit refers to something that promotes or enhances well-being, while harm refers to something that causes damage or injury.
- 2Advantage denotes a favorable or superior circumstance, while harm implies a negative or unfavorable outcome.
- 3Help means to provide assistance or support, while harm means to cause harm or injury.
Good things to know
- 1Business: Use benefit and advantage to describe the positive outcomes of a product or service.
- 2Daily Life: Use help to offer assistance or support to someone in need.
- 3Healthcare: Use harm to describe the negative effects of certain medications or treatments.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Benefit and advantage convey a positive outcome, while help provides assistance. On the other hand, harm implies a negative outcome. Use these words in different contexts, such as business, daily life, and healthcare, to convey the intended meaning effectively.