The Opposite(Antonym) of “hideous”
The antonyms of hideous are beautiful, attractive, and lovely. The antonyms beautiful, attractive, and lovely convey a positive or pleasing appearance. It implies something that is visually appealing, charming, or delightful.
Definitions and Examples of beautiful, attractive, lovely
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Having qualities that delight the senses, especially the sight.
The sunset over the ocean was beautiful with its vibrant colors and serene atmosphere.
Appealing to the senses or mind; pleasing.
The new dress she wore was so attractive that it caught everyone's attention.
Exquisitely beautiful; having a charming or attractive quality.
The garden was filled with lovely flowers of different colors and fragrances.
Key Differences: beautiful vs attractive vs lovely
- 1Beautiful is a general term that describes something that is aesthetically pleasing.
- 2Attractive is a more specific term that describes something that is appealing to the senses or mind.
- 3Lovely is a term that describes something that is exquisitely beautiful and has a charming or attractive quality.
Effective Usage of beautiful, attractive, lovely
- 1Complimenting: Use beautiful, attractive, and lovely to compliment someone's appearance or things.
- 2Describing: Use these antonyms to describe things in a positive light.
- 3Writing: Utilize these antonyms in writing to create vivid descriptions and imagery.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Beautiful conveys general aesthetic pleasure, attractive denotes something that appeals to the senses or mind, and lovely refers to something that is exquisitely beautiful and charming. Use these words to compliment someone's appearance or things, describe things in a positive light, and create vivid descriptions and imagery in writing.