What is the antonym of “kindly”?
The antonyms of kindly are unkindly and harshly. The antonyms unkindly and harshly convey a negative or unpleasant way of treating someone. It implies a lack of kindness, compassion, or consideration.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
In an unkind or unfriendly manner; without sympathy or consideration.
She spoke unkindly to her friend, hurting her feelings.
In a rough or severe manner; with cruelty or severity.
The teacher scolded the student harshly for not completing the homework.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Unkindly refers to a lack of kindness or friendliness, while harshly refers to a rough or severe manner.
- 2Unkindly may imply a lack of consideration or sympathy, while harshly may imply cruelty or severity.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use unkindly and harshly to express negative behavior effectively.
- 2Show Empathy: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to demonstrate understanding.
- 3Enrich Storytelling: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create relatable characters and compelling stories.