What is the antonym of “liberals”?
The antonyms of liberals are conservative, reactionary, and illiberal. These words have different meanings and are often used to describe political beliefs or attitudes.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Holding traditional values and cautious about change or innovation.
He has conservative views on social issues such as same-sex marriage and abortion.
Opposing progress or reform; favoring a return to a previous state of affairs.
His reactionary stance on immigration policy is not in line with the current political climate.
Opposed to liberal principles; intolerant or authoritarian.
The government's illiberal policies have been criticized by human rights groups.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Conservative refers to a cautious approach to change, while reactionary opposes progress or reform.
- 2Illiberal is opposed to liberal principles, while conservative may still support some liberal ideas.
- 3Reactionary is a more extreme form of conservatism that seeks to return to a previous state of affairs.
Good things to know
- 1Political Discussions: Use these antonyms to describe different political beliefs or attitudes.
- 2News Analysis: Incorporate these words when analyzing news articles or political events.
- 3Vocabulary Building: Learn these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and improve your English skills.
The antonyms of liberals are conservative, reactionary, and illiberal. These words have different meanings and are often used to describe political beliefs or attitudes. Use them to enhance your political discussions, analyze news articles, and expand your vocabulary.