What is the antonym of “fructiferous”?
The antonyms of fructiferous are barren, unfruitful, and sterile. These words describe a lack of productivity, fertility, or success.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Unable to produce crops, fruit, or offspring; unproductive.
The desert is a barren land with no vegetation or water sources.
Not producing fruit or results; unsuccessful.
Despite their efforts, the team's project was unfruitful and did not meet the client's expectations.
Not able to produce children, plants, or ideas; lacking creativity or productivity.
The artist's mind felt sterile and uninspired, unable to come up with new ideas.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Barren refers to a lack of productivity in terms of crops, fruit, or offspring.
- 2Unfruitful describes a lack of success or results.
- 3Sterile conveys a lack of creativity or productivity.
Good things to know
- 1Agriculture: Use barren to describe land that cannot produce crops or fruit.
- 2Business: Use unfruitful to describe projects or ventures that do not yield positive results.
- 3Art and Writing: Use sterile to describe a lack of creativity or productivity in artistic or literary works.
The antonyms of fructiferous describe a lack of productivity, fertility, or success. Use barren for agriculture, unfruitful for business, and sterile for art and writing to convey these nuances effectively.