What is the antonym of “glorious”?
The antonyms of glorious are shameful, disgraceful, and ignominious. These words convey a negative or dishonorable connotation, implying a lack of glory, honor, or pride.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Deserving of shame or guilt; disgraceful or dishonorable.
It was shameful of him to cheat on the exam.
Bringing shame or disrepute; dishonorable or scandalous.
His behavior at the party was disgraceful and caused a lot of embarrassment.
Deserving or causing public disgrace or shame; humiliating or degrading.
The team's defeat was ignominious and left them feeling humiliated.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Shameful implies a sense of guilt or wrongdoing, while disgraceful suggests a loss of honor or reputation.
- 2Ignominious emphasizes the public humiliation or degradation that comes with the act.
Good things to know
- 1Express Disapproval: Use these antonyms to express disapproval or condemnation of an action or behavior.
- 2Discuss Ethics: Incorporate these words in discussions about ethics and morality.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in writing to create vivid descriptions and convey emotions effectively.