What is the antonym of “lessened”?
The antonyms of lessened are increase, augment, and enlarge. These words convey the opposite meaning of lessened, which is to make something bigger, greater, or more significant.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To make something larger in size, quantity, or degree.
The company decided to increase the salaries of its employees to boost their morale.
To make something greater by adding to it; to increase in size, amount, or intensity.
The chef decided to augment the recipe by adding some spices to enhance its flavor.
To make something bigger in size or scope; to expand or extend.
The architect proposed to enlarge the living room by knocking down a wall.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Increase is a general term that describes making something larger in size, quantity, or degree.
- 2Augment is a more specific term that describes making something greater by adding to it.
- 3Enlarge refers to making something bigger in size or scope, often by expanding or extending it.
Good things to know
- 1Business: Use these antonyms to describe changes in revenue, sales, or profits.
- 2Academics: Use these antonyms to describe changes in test scores, grades, or academic performance.
- 3Personal Life: Use these antonyms to describe changes in weight, height, or personal achievements.
The antonyms of lessened are increase, augment, and enlarge. Use these words to describe changes in business, academics, or personal life. Remember that increase is a general term, augment is more specific, and enlarge refers to making something bigger in size or scope.